Shift Project

The Shift Project estimates 35% of electrity consumed with the web comes from devices; the remaining 65% comes from data centers, network setups and servers. A further 45% of emissions come from device manufacturing (Manufacturing an iPhone7 emits 56kg of CO2 equivalent). They break down the emissions as follows:

  • 45% for production
  • 20% for terminals usage (desktop, laptop, mobile, TV, console)
  • 19% for data centers usage
  • 16% for networks usage
Shift Project